The local authority is only required to meet needs in respect of an adult who has eligible needs and is ‘ordinarily resident’ in their area (or is present there but has no settled residence). It is the place where the person lives, or where their main home is, which determines which local authority will assess their needs and potentially fund any care and support. Exceptions may be adults who are at risk, in hospital or homeless.